Friday, January 24, 2014

A Little 'Bout Me- The Person Behind The Nails


Hi I thought I'd do a little different kind of post this time. I get asked questions about me so I thought that I'd give you a peek at the person behind the nails and let you all get to know me a little better.

My name is Kari, I was born and raised in Minnesota (although lately with all this arctic weather we've been having I'm seriously questioning why I still live here, lol), and I am the oldest of 7. I have 4 sisters and 2 step-brothers. I have a insane amount of nieces and nephews and I am even a great-aunt to 3 (#4 is on the way). I am married and I have 2 step kids that I absolutely adore, a step son who is 15 going on 16 and a step daughter who is 12 going on 13 (we haven't been blessed with any of ours together). OMG! I can't believe how old I am, LOL!!!!!

I lost about 60-70 pounds about 5 or 6 years ago and when I look back at old pictures of me I can't believe that it's me in those pictures. I honestly couldn't tell you how I did it except that I got more active and seriously changed my eating habits, then the weight just started falling off.

 I'm also a diabetic so I have to be careful of what I eat. I don't take insulin yet but I will have to someday, for now I get to only take pills. I was diagnosed when I was a teenager and as a typical teenager, I rebelled against the diagnosis and ate whatever I wanted. I was seriously sick for a long time until I got it all under control. I loved eating a Snickers bar and having a can of Mt Dew for lunch at school. I can't do that anymore but I do have a small piece of chocolate now and then and I've settled for Diet Mt Dew instead of regular (it's not the same but it will have to do).

I was married previously and divorced him. I knew I was making the biggest mistake of my life on the day I married him but went through with it anyway. It was not a good marriage. BUT I am now married to an amazing man named Kevin, I don't know what I'd do without him! He is truly amazing.


We've been married for 4 and a half years and when we were planning our wedding we wanted something different. So we got married in a very small ceremony by a justice of the peace and spent all our money on the reception. Our reception was a 3 day party!!! It was amazing! I am also a year and a half older than my husband.

We live on a farm and raise cows for butcher. I must say that if I'm going to eat beef I want to know where it's been and how it was raised, this way, I know! All our animals are treated humanly, my husband actually treats them like they are his pets, it's funny. He even talks to them (no he's not crazy, I've had him tested, lol). All the hay and feed that we feed the cows we grow and harvest ourselves. I like knowing exactly what my cows eat because eventually (and sadly) we eat them. I do drive a tractor and have been known to be out on the tractor in the field helping with what I can. Sometimes I just go along for the ride too. No one who knew me before my husband would have ever thought that I would live on a farm and drive tractors. I'm a very girly girl.

We have 2 dogs and 1 cat in the house. I'd have more because I love to rescue them but the hubby put the limits on how many are in the house and I've reached my limit. Our dogs are Lulu who is a Applehead Chihuahua and Abby who is a Chi-Beagle (Deerhead Chihuahua and Beagle mix). My cat is Kitters and she is just your average cat, I have no idea what breed she is but she's cute and they all love to cuddle.

I have an Associate's Degree in Office Administration with an emphasis on Medical Office. I also have 2 unfinished degrees, one in Medical Assisting and the other in Paralegal. I had to quit school because I reached my lifetime limit for financial aid and couldn't afford to take out more loans.

I work a day job as an Administrative Assistant/Receptionist for an optical lab. Occasionally I fill in and help out our Human Resources person who is also my supervisor, she's the best boss ever! I love my job and even though it is an hour away from home I wouldn't dream of working anywhere else.

I was a SERIOUS nail biter up until about 4 years ago. My husband helped me kick the habit. About 2 years ago I was starting to get back into the habit and I decided that I didn't want to be a nail biter again so I got into nail polish. Getting into nail polish and keeping my nails looking nice kept me from biting my nails again and has lead me here to you. I started blogging because I found it was a good hobby and I always loved writing in school (yeah, I know, I'm sort of a geek). I surf the internet, use Instagram, and Pintrest to find inspiration for manicures. I like to take one that I like and put my own little twist.

I used to be a smoker too. My husband and I quit almost 2 years ago. I had smoked for almost 15 years I think and I can't imagine ever starting up again. With that said, I do still love a good cigar every now and then if the mood strikes me. Weird I know!!

In my spare time when I am not taking care of the house or working I like to fish (ice fish and summer fish), paint my nails, play with makeup, crochet (I started a blanket when we got married and have yet to finish it, lol), read, and sing (I used to sing in a choir group and would love to sing in a band but I don't think that dream with ever be realized).

Hmmm....I can't really think of anything else. I hope you loved learning a little bit about me just as much as I loved writing this post for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment